The University of Nicosia (UNIC) is the driving force behind this development platform that enables the issuance and verification of certificates on the Blockchain, for everyone. UNIC was the first institution to issue academic certificates whose authenticity can be verified through the Bitcoin blockchain (September 2014). These certificates were issued to students who successfully completed or participated in DFIN-511 Introduction to Digital Currency, which was the first university course offered on the new and exciting field of cryptocurrencies. The new knowledge and technology created, is applicable and can scale to all universities and any organizations that issue certificates and credentials.
The block.co is an open, decentralized and transparent platform that provides a secure method to issue and authenticate certificates without the fear of them being modified or lost, even if the issuing organization ceases to exist, using blockchain. It eliminates the conventional processes of issuing certificates and goes beyond simply digitizing them, to solve a plethora of real world complications such as lost certificates, validation, as well as lost or modified records.
- The process involves no other services or products other than (in this case) the Bitcoin blockchain;
- The process allows anyone to authenticate an allegedly valid certificate from any institution without having to contact them;
- The process allows someone to complete it even if the institution no longer exists (or, more likely, if the institution’s website no longer exists in its current form or records are lost and so on);
- The process ensures that there is no way for someone to copy it and create a set of inauthentic certificates predating first public announcement. A transaction through our system, will always predate any potentially fraudulent submissions to the blockchain;
- The actual certificates are easy and intuitive for users to view / share / etc., thus we opted for a method that will be based on normal PDF files.